Friday, October 5, 2012

Jennifer Rainey's Favorite Ghost Stories

Favorite ghost stories

Today I have a guest post from Jennifer Rainey, the author of The Beldam's EyeThese Hellish Happenings and Thoroughly Modern Monsters. She has stopped by to talk about her favorite ghost stories.

I love a good ghost story. From the time I was about eight or nine years old, I loved reading spooky tales, and it was inevitable that I eventually write one myself. The Beldam's Eye is my own take on the ghost story, but today I’m here to talk about three others that have inspired and occasionally horrified me—and trust me, horrifying me is quite a feat!

1. The Woman In Black by Susan Hill.

I picked this book up when I started seeing trailers for the movie version that came out earlier this year. The title character is a truly terrifying and vengeful specter who destroys the life of the book’s protagonist/narrator, Arthur Kipps. This book has a fantastically creepy atmosphere about it, and Hill does a spectacular job of pulling the reader in. This is a book you just can’t shake after finishing. If you love period ghost stories, give this one a look.

Creepiness factor: 3.5/5. While The Woman in Black herself is quite the spooky ghost, the book has a few dry spells where you don’t get a lot of paranormal activity.

2. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.

Who doesn’t love A Christmas Carol? This book and all of the marvelous movie adaptations helped spark my interest in spirits. Jacob Marley is a tremendous ghost, and it was my dream as a child to play the Ghost of Christmas Past on stage. Dickens expertly blends in A Christmas Carol our own world and the paranormal world. While this isn’t the scariest ghost story in the world, it is a very inspirational one.

Creepiness factor: 2/5. It’s not the creepiest, but The Ghost Of Christmas Yet To Come is pretty hardcore.

3. Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill.

This story of an aging rocker who buys a haunted suit is truly one of the eeriest tales I’ve ever had the pleasure of reading. Craddock, the spirit after the protagonist, is a relentless villain with the ability to control the minds of the living. The book can go from darkly amusing to horrifying to disturbing, and it does so seamlessly. If you haven’t read Heart-Shaped Box, find a copy as soon as possible.

Creepiness factor: 5/5! Chilling, gripping and very entertaining!

These are just three of my favorites, but there are so many more. Let us know what your favorite ghost stories are in the comments!

***


When Erasmus Bramble finds the recently-deceased Angus Heyer rummaging through his kitchen cabinets, he knows he has a unique case on his hands.

As paranormal investigators in rural Ohio, Ras and his business partner Antony Yeats tackle ghostly problems on a daily basis, from poltergeist exterminations to troubled spirits just looking for a shoulder to cry on. Angus isn't looking for ghost therapy. He needs Ras and Yeats to help him to retrieve a pocket watch stolen from him after death, a pocket watch that is said to be cursed: The Beldam's Eye.

The skeptical Ras and Yeats agree to take Angus's case, but they soon find themselves in over their heads, facing murder, theft and perilous dark magic. Is it all just backwoods superstition or is the curse of The Beldam's Eye grisly reality.

Purchase

12 comments:

  1. My favorite ghost story is The Signalman by Charles Dickens. In this creepy and clever story, the ringing of a bell is followed by the appearance of a ghost, harbinger of a dreadful accident.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to read the Christmas Carol, I love the movie and I love so many of Dicken's other books. I will have to do that this year!

    Claire @gypsyslowdown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christmas Carol indeed - I will never forget watching the original and being amazed at the good attitude of Bob Cratchit (is that how you spell it??) Visiting from today’s hop - Please stop by if you get the time and follow if you’d like - www.shaunanosler.blogspot.com. BTW, I am always looking for blogs to review my book - if the concept strikes you at all let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to recommend some of these books to our daughter, she loves a good ghost story.

    First time follower through the hop.

    Hope you can stop by my blog for a visit sometime.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Book blogs. This is a great book. I'm recommending it for myself. I've been looking for a great book review for my fiction occult novella. If it's of any interest to you, let me know. My email address is lolagrove@yahoo.co.uk I hope you will stop by at my blog and follow. http://douprah.blogspot.com Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite ghost story is "The Chimes", also by Charles Dickens.
    ~David

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I'm your newest follower! Can't wait to read more from you!

    I'd love if you followed back! You can find me at What's in a Name?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Vanessa! Thanks for linking up with my NO RULES Weekend Blog Party so that I could meet you. I'm now your newest GFC follower :)

    Paula
    lifeasweknowitbypaula.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I might just have to read A Christmas Carol. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for linking to Anything Goes At Eye Heart Mondays. I have to say though I am a big baby and can't read or watch horror movies/stories. I can't sleep afterwards. The only one I am not familiar with is the Heart-Shaped Box.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello I saw your blog on GFC Blog Hop and I am your newest follower! When you get a chance please visit my blog. Thanks in advance.

    Have a great day : )


    http://lovelyarmywife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete